1. Direct energy savings. This is the easiest advantage to calculate—and will be number one on many customers’ wish lists. In fact, all the leading LED manufacturers can help you score the potential energy savings.
2. Decreased light count. The Ricker Oil story above shows
that in some configurations, LED will make it possible to
reduce the number of lights outside without any sacrifice
in light. You can use your expertise to help customers see
what is possible on each site.
3. Reduced maintenance. The solid-state LED lighting
systems are, by definition, less maintenance-intensive than
other solutions. That also means real dollars to the energy
4. Better warranties. Because the technology is so sound,
manufacturers can—and do—offer very generous
warranties. That means both peace of mind and, again,
5. improved store visibility. Success in the c-store world is often a function of curb appeal. An inviting street-side presence will bring customers into the store. LED scores extremely high on this point. 6. enhanced customer and staff safety. Greater light outside means greater safety. That’s an important service to customers and employees alike. 7. neighbor friendly. For marketers that want to be good community citizens, LED lighting brings another advantage. As bright as the lights are, they stay where you point them. That means much less lighting bleed-over—
and much happier neighbors.
LED lighting may not yet be for everyone. But it’s a
technology whose time has definitely come. Educate yourself.
And help your customers “see the light.”
Rick Long is general manager and associate general counsel
3 0 | PEI.ORG | Second Quarter 2012